HBO - Bitcoins.

Discussion in 'CryptoCoin Talk' started by des7ructo, Aug 12, 2017.

1. des7ructo

des7ructo New Member

Have you heard the news about the HBO getting hacked and the hackers demanding 7,5 million in bitcoin. What do you think about that ? As a whole what do you about shadiness around bitcoins and generally cryptocurrency, a lot of people have no idea about cryptocurrency, but they hear rumors here and there about it being dealt only by people who deal with illegal deals.

2. wiseagent

wiseagent Member

I knew about HBO being hacked (by the way, what a stupid attitude! :mad:)... But I didn't hear anything related to 7.5 million in Bitcoin.

This sounds insane! Where did you hear about it?

I think this all only undermines the image of the currency in the market. It's incredibly sad that people want to take advantage of every kind of situation.

3. Vatroslav

Vatroslav Member

It is a very smart move on their side. They want to receive an untraceable currency to the encrypted account. So what if it is used for a shady deal? Cash has also been used for nefarious purposes, but so far nobody has condemned and outlawed it.

oportosanto likes this.
  4. wiseagent

wiseagent Member

Your point of view has a good foundation, considering that printed money is widely used for dirty deals around the world. But I think the big problem is that Bitcoin isn't an established currency and situations like this may be skewing it over time and this is obviously a bad thing.

I don't approve of this kind of behavior (it doesn't matter which currency is being used), but this represents something very worrisome.

It's a loss for both sides.

5. Vatroslav

Vatroslav Member

I'm hoping that usage of crypto currencies will become more and more common because people will start to learn about its many benefits. Until recently the majority of the people didn't care that much about Bitcoin. Then, all of a sudden, Bitcoin gained increased value and a great number of miners appeared. People start to care about Bitcoins and at the same time smear campaign against them appears. I think this is the case with almost any radical innovation in human history, but as we know ultimately innovations prevail because they offer something new and better for everyone.

6. wiseagent

wiseagent Member

Innovation will happen sooner or later... No matter how hard banks or other companies struggle against this breakthrough. It's only a matter of time.

One of the biggest problems that I can see in Bitcoin today is the very fluctuating valuation rate. Automatically, this "forces" the financial market to adopt a suspicious position on the future of the currency.

When this problem is solved, I believe Bitcoin will explode and succeed in gaining millions of users around the world.

7. Vatroslav

Vatroslav Member

If you try to "stabilize" the cryptocurrency, you would have to make some sort of a central bank to control its value. And if you do that, then you are destroying the freedom of that cryptocurrency.

In a sense, what gives the crypto currencies their allure in privacy and efficiency is also making them unstable and prone to sudden changes. It is basically a gamble.

8. wiseagent

wiseagent Member

Although some people don't like to see Bitcoin as a kind of a bet... It's just like that the whole thing happens/ works (at least in the current mold). Maybe, after all stabilized, things can change.

It's a "market" that needs a lot of wisdom to be used and controlled. It can't be decided overnight because this is not a "game" for everyone.

9. oportosanto

oportosanto Moderator

Staff Member
    Pretty much, but in fact people hear about BTC and hijacking and believe the two things are connected, when it's not the case, it's just the currency demanded. We should not confuse the currency with the crime.

10. zheh

zheh Member

I've read the news the hackers are demanding in bitcoin which they say is amounting for about $6 million. That is a bad thing. Stealing private property and asking for whatever currency in return? They should get caught and be imprison.

11. kingcool52

kingcool52 New Member

HBO has been doing awful recently in regards to security. Game of Thrones is the most popular TV series in the world right now, did they really think that people wouldn't attempt to hack their systems and try and get episodes early to use against them as blackmail. HBO Spain also released an episode a week early so they can't be the cleverest people, unfortunately. It's weird that a lot of these hackers have been requesting payments in Bitcoin recently. I guess the fact that it cannot be tracked makes it the best option and that's probably why a lot of large retailers will be reluctant to accept Bitcoins as payments. You just don't know if it's legitimately earned money.

12. wiseagent

wiseagent Member

I repudiate this sort of attitude from the harckers (it's something very bad), but this made it very clear that HBO really needs to be more careful about what it has.

The company is huge, super consolidated worldwide and this kind of carelessness seems a little bit sloppy. But I'm sure after that they'll adjust everything.

13. Vatroslav

Vatroslav Member

I wouldn't be surprised that the HBO is leaking these episodes on purpose, just to maintain hype. This season is mostly bad, apart from few good moments.

So instead of the people talking about episodes and criticizing the show, it is better to involve hackers and "accidental" leaks. As the saying goes, "There is no such thing bad publicity".

14. kingcool52

kingcool52 New Member

Really? I never thought of it like that to be fair because personally, I thought that the season has been pretty good so far. I know that most of my friends have been enjoying the season so far as well. We did think that they were going a bit fast compared to previous seasons but that it most likely because they only have one more season left after this and they want to put as much content in the episodes before it ends.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did release them on purpose, it does create a lot more hype for them but they do lose a lot of revenue from people not seeing advertisements on TV etc.

15. zheh

zheh Member

Yeah. I'm a fan of Game of thrones. And i enjoy the episodes since the beginning of season 7 and how fast it goes, and the leaked episode is one of the best episode for me. And i believe hbo will really loose a lot because of that leak. Well i'm guilty cause i can't help but watch it. And i won't be watching the hbo airing this sunday. So it's one of the example that the hbo will loose a lot of viewers.

16. JoeMilford

JoeMilford New Member

Wow--I have not heard of this--that's crazy. A bitcoin ransom. Well, where there is a will, a hacker has a way, I suppose. I guess we are going to start seeing a lot more of this in the future.

17. Authord

Authord New Member

Yeah, bit coins and other cryptocurrencies are used as mode of payment when you want to hide your identity and personality from the person issuing the payment without been tracked, that's why it's the currency of the dark web.
    That's why hackers use it, it provides anonimity to the users, that's why it's a risky stuff. once the transaction is made it's made.

18. Vatroslav

Vatroslav Member

Who can really tell? I just find it hard to believe that a multimillion-dollar corporation would make such stupid mistakes. I can understand hackers, but that the HBO Spain accidentally released a new episode ahead of schedule? That seems really fishy to me.