Spread the word about Bitcoin, to your waitress?

Discussion in 'Bitcoin and Ethereum Talk' started by RyanWeb, Jul 3, 2016.

Share This Page

1. RyanWeb

RyanWeb Administrator Staff Member

Check out this site: https://www.bctip.org/en/

I heard about it on the radio today.. The next time you are out, and need to leave a tip.. This site allows you to create and leave a tip in bitcoin, via printable coupons! It spreads the word about bitcoin and helps the community as a whole..

The best part about this service is, if the person whom you gave the tip to doesn't claim the tip in XX amount of days, it gets returned to your bitcoin address! Check it out, the coupons are pretty cool, a very good way to spread the word! I may even use it around here in PMs.

2. Beermoney

Beermoney Well-Known Member

Since it just a BTC oriented service, I assume it must be available globally right? Pretty cool and innovative concept, I will try it out on my next hotel staycation :)

RyanWeb likes this.
  3. RyanWeb

Yes, I do believe so... I think I'm going to print off a few and give it a try as well :)

Right from the main page: "bctips can be created in several languages and used all over the world."

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While this is the first time I've heard of the idea, it's pretty innovative and I guess it's just another way to try and get Bitcoin more popular. There are a lot of people also that, even though they might have heard of Bitcoin before, they aren't sure how it works or exactly what it can be used for, so by giving out the vouchers as well as it spreading the word about Bitcoin, it's also enticing people into opening accounts and looking more into what Bitcoin can do for them on a day to day level, and it shows it's not just a currency for the wealthy or the computer and online geeks (like us, haha)

RyanWeb likes this.
  5. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well I love the idea and I think that it is interesting and a good way to spread the word, but you really have to make sure that if you do this the person knows what they are getting. I really really hope that a waitress is not out there working hard, expecting a good tip and then getting a coupon or a piece of paper that says "you get this many bitcoins". That would really be depressing and he or she would be upset and irate, to say the least. I just hope this doesn't happen, other than that I like the idea.

6. RyanWeb

On my local radio station they go hard.. Their is another advertisement that says using USD is irresponsible, and to stop using US dollars whenever possible, as you are only funding the killings of people around the world by this corrupt government.

Whether you believe that or not, you can't argue that governments are notoriously bad at handling money, and by believing in fiat currencies we only empower them to keep doing it.

SherKev likes this.
  7. SherKev

SherKev Moderator Staff Member

That is a bold statement to say that using USD is irresponsible, but I love it! (and the concept of what they are trying to achieve) -- Sometimes, you have to make bold statements and get innovative in order for people to look at the big picture. But like with everything else, I'm sure there will be some negative backlash... I wonder how long they have been around? I also like how they show you the statistics... nice.

8. RyanWeb

I keep trying to find the advertisement, I was almost shocked when I first heard such a bold statement on the radio.. The ad was on keir101fm.com , talk radio.. Wish I could find a copy.. Maybe ill try to record it if I hear it again, but being its super short, and im usually driving. I doubt I'd have a chance.

archive.org shows me their website was live on April of 2013 https://web.archive.org/web/20130429092247/https://www.bctip.org/ (whois also shows the url registered in 2013, from ru).

So, since around then :)

They don't have any 'about us' data on their site, but who needs that lol

9. remnant

remnant Active Member

The idea in the OP is pretty cool and know what? These marketing strategies will make bitcoin to advance at a pace as to make hard currency a sitting duck. This is the era of disruptive technology and Uber is a case in point. During the infancy stages of the digital revolution, no office workers imagined being made redundant by the new technology. I believe other innovations are on the way and soon the buzz will be behind every far with spending power.

RyanWeb likes this.
  10. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

That's serious a great idea, you still tip, you do it in a original way and you still spread the word of bitcoins. It's all positive facts, I'm definitely going to check this out!

RyanWeb likes this.
  11. vegito12

vegito12 New Member

I think this is a good idea and may be useful in getting the word of Bitcoin out there and hope we see more creative ways as well and will take time for people to understand Bitcoin, as many people are hearing about it but not understanding it and the explanations should be simple and not complicated so the person knows what it is. It is nice to see this being used as a way of tipping and if the person does not take the tip money then you get back which is good and you know the money will return to you in the end if the person does not take it and will need to see how this works in other countries and hope it works out. I reckon that in a few years time we will see Bitcoin being well known and may be accepted as a form of currency around the world and not viewed in a negative way as it is now in countries as they don't have full trust in the currency at the moment and will be interesting to see what other ideas are used.

12. Vinaya

Vinaya Moderator Staff Member

That's interesting, however, I don't know if I can find waiter and waitress willing to receive BTC as tips. It is true that we need to spread the word. Word of mouth is the greatest promotional tactics. People believe more when someone they know explains to them rather than reading reviews.

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While the idea is a good one as a way to spread the word, maybe you're right and the waiters and waitresses might not be the right targets when it comes to advertising Bitcoin as a lot of them actually rely on their tips to bolster their income so may not take to kindly in being paid in an electronic currency that they have never heard of before, and not only that have to register an account in order to collect them!

Any form of advertising will do Bitcoin good, but at the same time I do think the advertising needs to be directed at those that will have spare money to invest rather than people that might not necessarily want to take a risk with a currency that's till in it's infancy.